Thursday, December 11, 2008

Update from Lakeshore, MS


It's been a productive time here in Lakeshore in spite of the really cold weather (it snowed today). It was funny to see so many people excited about snowflakes, but a good reminder that our God is creative and amazing - something I forget to remember when watching the snow fall.

In addition to getting to see some of the projects that are going on down here, I was able to jump in with a team from Kentucky and get my hands dirty with some "real work" as some call it. It was not only cool to be a part of a project but it was cool to make some new friends who have been dedicated to the ministry here since "the storm" hit. So here you'll see a picture of me installing a kitchen sink in a new home that is being built for an 80 year old man whose home was destroyed by the waters of Katrina on August 29, 2005.


It is crazy to think that Katrina was three years ago and there are still people living in FEMA trailers and MEMA cottages. The FEMA trailers are mostly phased out now and the MEMA cottages are scheduled for removal begining in March of 2009. There are roughly 2,000 people in Lakeshore alone who will be displaced by this action. The need then, for teams that can come here and help build homes is obviously still present. Below is a photo of a MEMA cottage that is just a stones throw from the church.


One of the toughest things to see was the gentlemen that we visited who was living in this tent (pictured below). Remember that it snowed today and he has no electricity. He doesn't even own the plot of land, he is a squatter. There are a whole host of issues that are raised in considering his life and I need a bit more time to process it all. If nothing else, meeting him forces me to rethink my view of "the storm", the systems used to manage the people here, and what my role is.

I am sitting now in the Mockingbird cafe in Bay St. Louis. There is live music playing and the loud ring of voices chattering over the songs. Being here in the cafe for the past few hours is a good reminder to me that peole live here! I know that may sound strange but when we in the north think of Katrina, I know some wonder "Why rebuild?" Sitting here reminds me of at least one reason... it's home.

I head back home tomorrow. Pray for safe flights and for people to join in with this project in the future.

No comments: