Tuesday, August 2, 2011

South Africa Reflections (#2)


Yesterday, we woke up to the loud screeches of what we decided to call the “pomegranate bird” (It looked like the kiwi bird of Australia, but the kiwi is not native to South Africa), we were more adjusted to the freezing morning. The space heater probably helped. After breakfast we headed over to the Dutch Reform Church (do not ask me how to spell it in Afrikaans) and had a conversation with the good folks of Pure Hope. We discussed the differences between pseudo community and real community, and how God’s opportunities and trials allow us to develop genuine relationships. It was in that conversation that many of us shared personal stories. That honesty and communication helped us to begin to develop our real relationships with each other and the Pure Hope.
After lunch, we headed over to Mabopane. Finally, after years of praying and planning and saving for this moment, I was in Mabopane. When I first stepped out of the van and the children ran up to us and the Pure Hope team, I felt alone, but in a good way. It was serene, unreal. Reality rushed back and I had one girl who clung to me. She was about 4 and spoke very little English. She couldn’t tell me her name, but she could count to 10, tell me body parts, and point out colors and shapes. She called me “Sessi” which means “sister” in Tswana. She also new the word “up” which she used every time I would put her down. Both Katie and Julie had 1 or 2 girls that clung to them as well, and it was then I realized that our purpose was to show these children love and affection. They may not receive it at home or their parents may not be in their life at all. It is our duty to show them the love that Christ shows us. I realized that we are to develop real and not pseudo relationships with these children, because that is what Christ did and called us to do.
- Kristin

No comments: