Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Westwinds Student Journey Team: Day 1 (Sunday)


Last minute suitcase checks, hoarse voices, tearful goodbyes, no sleep, early drive, Guatemala here we come baby!
It was a whirlwind of activity in that airport, all different kinds of people surrounded us as we tried to find out what we were expected to do. We stood for a good half hour, waiting for someone, anyone, to start giving us directions. We were all punch drunk from lack of sleep, so there was an endless supply of interesting conversations.
The passport machines, as well as security were the easiest parts of the beginning to what promised to be an amazing experience. We didn’t have to wait that long for our flight, but Earl of Sandwich made the waiting less of a choreJ.
I boarded the plane and found to my dismay I was seated next to a strange Canadian couple. They were nice, a bit eccentric, but nice never the less. When the plane landed in Miami a couple of my friends and I went on an epic Starbucks hunt, only to settle on a local coffee shop and walk away sipping on our frappalatte’s. I got to sit by my friends on that plane trip. 
When we touched down in Guatemala City, it was almost surreal in a way. It was like a dream, like it wasn’t really happening. Time went by so fast, and now the thing I had been looking forward to the most for so long was finally stretched out in front of me. My smile widened as I stepped off that plane and into the terminal, breathing in the new culture that waited for me.
It’s a very colorful city, to say the least. Building with bright colors everywhere you turn, brightly colored fabrics, brightly colored people, just like in those books you read, but this was real. It may have been like a storybook, but I know all to well that Guatemala City can be no fairytale.
Immigration was stressful, both my friend and I were concerned over the fact that these people may ask us a question and we would blank on the answer and look stupid, or worse, be denied access into the country. Foolish thoughts, yes, but hey, you got to admit it’s a scary one. I walked up to the guy behind the counter and said my hello’s in Spanish. He brightened up and asked me if I spoke Spanish. Of course I answered “un poco”, “a little”. He smiled wide and told me to have a fun trip. It pays to know the native language were hospitality is concerned. I found my oversized suitcase and hauled it with me to Customs. This was a pleasantly surprising breeze. The guy took my form and waved me through without a hitch, without a single word. It was like a huge weight had been lifted, I made it. I’m in Guatemala.
We all conjugated outside the airport, meeting up with our leader who had arrived before we had. We waited for his instructions when a bald man started boisterously proclaiming how excited he was that we had all made it safe and sound. He introduced himself as the leader of the missions group we are working with, and it all made sense then. He led us to a brightly colored bus and threw all of our luggage inside the back. He then proceeded to take us to McDonalds. Yes! McDonalds! I couldn’t help but laugh as he told us this, it was a strange thought to me, something so American in Guatemala.
As we drove to McDonalds I came across another spectacle that made everyone on the bus laugh. We saw, what for it……. A Wal-Mart. That honestly made my day a whole lot brighter.
We got our food and headed over to the Missionary we’re currently staying at. We ate on the steps in front of a basketball court, then got our room assignments. We unpacked, settled in, took quick naps, then got the low down on what was expected of us, how to dress, how to behave, cultural differences, that sort of thing.
After the low down we had about an hour to just chill and play ball, or talk. Then, after that hour was up, we had pizza from Pizza Hut. It just amazes me how many American things are here. We ate and our leader talked with us about our day.
My expectations for this trip aren’t anything specific. My main goal is to experience God in a way I have never experienced Him before. I want to be able to become closer than I already am with him, and maybe even change lives through him. These kids that we’re helping are so much less fortunate than us, have so much less than what we have, I want a chance to help them, to show them that life isn’t just about pain and suffering. Through the things we will be doing on this trip, we can help them look to a better life, help them see through the haze of doubt and hopelessness. Ultimately, we are all God’s children, no matter race, age, social status, we are all equal in his eyes, and they deserve to know that.
My last words are this: your children, grandchildren, friends, nieces, nephews, brothers, sisters, they all love you and miss you very much, but they’re having a blast already, and it’s only been the first day. So smile, don’t worry, because we are all in God’s hands. J  ~Kiley 

No comments: