Thursday, June 23, 2011

Westwinds Student Journey Team: Day 5 (Thursday)


I absolutely cannot believe we are already more than halfway done with this trip! I feel like we just arrived and there is so much to do! It’s amazing how time has flown by while we’ve been in Guatemala. Today as we made our way back to the seminary it hit me. I realized that in two days we will be boarding a plane back to the U.S. and how sad that was. But then I noticed I needed to appreciate even the opportunity to even be here. This trip has been so blessed. Not only by giving us fantastic team members, but God has kept us safe, alert, and given us the ability to be comfortable and open with each other.
Driving through the streets of Guatemala City, my eyes have been opened to things that were cruel, beautiful, and heartbreaking. Most of all, I’ve experienced true generosity. God works in mysterious ways and he can sometimes catch you off guard. Before we left for Guatemala, I would have considered myself to be pretty tough. I’ve always had a hard time sharing my story and the way I feel with other people. Something about the people here helped me uncover a soft spot in my heart for missions and people in general.
I’ve been tempted to look at the work the team has done here, as well as work done on past mission trips, as being insignificant. I can’t help but compare my work to everything else happening in other parts of the country and world.  When I do that, my work seems so small. However, that is so untrue. Of course I know the world is ginormous and we can’t help everyone. But who is to say that what we’ve done and are doing doesn’t matter. God gave us tasks and we are completing them as best we can step by step. Listening to God and carrying out his plan is the most important part. Sometimes doing this work is really hard and it comes in the form of sweat, dirt, and unpleasant smells. That doesn’t make the work any less important just because of where you are or who you’re with.
I am so unbelievably thankful for this trip. I can clearly see God working here in Guatemala in the kids, our team, and GSM. I am excited to see what the rest of the week holds for us! Please continue to pray for us as we finish strong and travel back. God is good!!
With Love,
Emma

No comments: